I laid the bare frame on the wet bookcloth:
I then started to cut tabs of cloth which were covered in bookbinding paste, pulled tight and glued down. A bone folder was used to push the tab under the frame (see later):
The tabs look rough but they can be trimmed once the cover has dried.
The same procedure was carrid out with the inner tympan frame:
This detail shows hoe each tab is pushed under the frame to keep it secure and tight:
The two parts of the tympan were left to dry thoroughly in the studio:
The next morning, both parts were dry, tight and drummed in a very satisfying manner when tapped. I trimmed the excess tabs, packed and reassembled the tympan and reconnected it to the press. I made the top neater with some heavy brown paper:
Red is looking rather good...
... and is back to work again: